Our routine is to prep clothes, coloring books, snacks, etc. the night before so we can pack the car and leave. Well, Aaliyah, Addy and I left with 15 minutes until Church began (mind you it takes a minute and a half to drive to the building) and Jenny was to leave shortly thereafter.
I got Aaliyah out of the car and unloaded our bags (my briefcase and an activity bag which contained entertainment for both girls as well as snacks which were packed by Aaliyah and I). I asked Aaliyah to leave her 2 stuffed animals and additional purse with items inside in the car b/c she had other things to play with. Immediately the face (see frown from previous experiences) took over. Yes, that was followed by a brief verbal struggle and then we balanced smiles and frustration on our way through the parking lot.
Addy was now in my arms tucked and resting on my side like a missile ready to fire. By this time the black suit was a bad idea, sweat was beginning to take over. Suddenly, a declaration was made by Aaliyah, "Daddy-stop squeezing my hand!".
Okay, I had one child balancing in my arm, a bag strapped on the other, an activity bag sliding down my forearm and Aaliyah's hand in mine like a Wii remote hoping to safely guide us to the finish line. She repeated her request and by this time we had a crowd of eyeballs from the fellow members making their journey to the building. Yep, I looked like Mr. Mom with a dash of the Incredible Hulk. The bag was sliding down and pressing our hands but to no avail the yell-cry had begun. Aaliyah looked as if I had told her there was no Santa...meanwhile Addy hung tightly to me and enjoyed the show.
We made it inside and found an open row. I dropped the bags like over sized dumbbells and placed the girls on each side of me. Of course this was the day that the A/C was working as well as a sweater in July. Usually you have a few minutes before the jitter bugs get into the kids, but while manning the fort alone they got fidgety. Aaliyah became occupied with her books and Addy jumped in my lap while the opening hymn played out. The sippy cup came out and Aaliyah proclaimed thirst so I took the cap off and let her have a sip. For some reason she did not put the cup to her lips and held it a few inches aways so the water came pouring onto my lap and then the floor.
It gets better...moments later the sacrament prayer was to begin. At this point Addy was grabbing from a small snack container that held Cheerios and raisins. It was perfectly full and strategically placed in her lap. I held tightly to avoid spills and rapid movement. The silence before the prayer came, reverence entered and CRASH! All I could see were Cheerios and raisins racing under the rows in front of us and into the aisle. My head dropped and all I could do was laugh quietly to myself as the congregation worshipped.
My, my, my...the sacrament portion ended and Jenny entered. Instant relief, but by this time I had vacuumed with my hands as to avoid anymore crunching below my feet. We smiled and she whispered that something happened..."Something unexpected", she said, AKA a snag in her arrival for church. My words were short,"You don't say, just another day in paradise." And the day proceeded.
5 comments:
hahaha - this is our routine every sunday - except we do it in one car and I have to battle not saying "screw it, I'm staying home to watch the Bills get beat by everyone in the AFC East". Are you sure this is what we signed up for?! - zf
oh my gosh - that was hysterical! I am sure not in the moment but everyone has been there and it's no fun at all. It's a good thing it makes for a funny story later and important memories!
I am so glad to hear that our Sunday's aren't much different that other families. Since Trent has to be to church two hours early for meetings, this is how I feel each WEEK!! I love the picture of Aaliyah... it's priceless!
Love your post. It had me laughing. I have to say the girls seemed happy in sacrament, so you did a good job. Plus you provided Lane & me with an extra snack...aka...cheerios! They were tasty :)
Don't you love days like these? Sometimes you feel like things like this only happen to you, so it's fun to read about it happening to someone else!
Post a Comment