Sunday, May 11, 2008

WoRkinG mINi-VacaTioN iN AuStiN.TeXaS

We took a working mini-vacation this week with Derek. We all went to Austin for a few days - it was exhausting but worth every minute of it! We haven't had a family vacation since I don't remember when...we really needed one. So, what we did on our trip? First, we stopped by Katy Mills Mall on the way out of Houston and did some smart shopping. Thank you Steve and Barry's, Nike and Banana Republic. Then we had dinner in Austin at this awesome place recommended by Dustin called P.TeRRy'S. It's this retro looking drive through joint with mouth watering food.- homemade match stick fries, freshly squeezed lemonade and one Tasty Burger. Whatta neat place!

The next day while Derek went to work the girls and I took a dip in the hotel pool...inside that is... we only stayed in for 30 mins because Addy lips were turning blue! It was nice to be out of the house and having fun and laughing with Aaliyah and Adyson. Aaliyah was the biggest help on the trip. I can't believe how grown-up she is.

That night we stayed at the hotel (the exhaustion of road tripping with 2 kids began) and we had Costco pizza with some great family time before retiring for bed. The last day we took a visit to Dustin's old house. Such a neat look and feel to the neighborhood... I wish I could have seen the inside! Our last stop in Austin was the best crepes place in town. Let me give you a little background...I love watching a show on the Food-network called, 'ThRow DoWn WiTh BObbY FlaY.' It's where Bobby Flay - a famous chef and resturant owner- challenges people to make their signature dish and shows up unannounced on their home turf to challge them. Hence the name- throw down with Bobby Flay.

So we go to our second Bobby Flay spot (our first was La Hacienda in San Antonio where they make these incredible Puffy Tacos-D-E-Licious! Derek referred a co-worker and now she is hooked too!) to this place called, 'FliP HapPy CrePeS'. After Bobby's thrown down with the owners we had to make a stop and try out the crepes. I got the spinach,feta and garlic stuffed crepes and for dessert we also got a sweet lemon crepe. Oh my gosh! They were out of this world. The episode is showing again this summer around June if you want to see it.

Well, we see why Uncle Duss loves Austin. It is a combination of California and Denver situated right in the heart of Texas. We loved it and cannot wait to go back. Thanks AuStiN for the wonderful mini-vacation.






Hotel Pool


Dustin's old home





3 comments:

SueAnn said...

That looks so fun!! I would love to go there...I have always wanted to go to all the places they show on Food Network too. I love road trips!!

tiffany said...

cute new photos! I'm so glad to see an update! fun for you to get out of dodge for a few.

Jalei & Lane said...

How do you hear about all these great hidden spots? Maybe next time we're in Austin, we'll try some of them!